I think costumes are great (our 3-yr-old lives in one), but as a parent I have issues with Halloween. (Let's see--let's celebrate evil and superstition, eat copious amounts candy, and spend way to much on that, plus the cost of 4-6 good costumes for an evening's entertainment.) I do love trick-or-treating though--because it's a great way to meet neighbors that you would never get to talk to otherwise. This year I decided to make the event school. I told the kids that they could be anything they wanted to be (gross, gory, scary, whatever) as long as it was from Greek mythology. It was pretty fun, though a lot of work for me. Our favorite part of the Hydra costume turned out to be the make-up (some black eyeshaddow tapped through plastic craft screen made for a neat scale effect).
Thursday, January 13, 2011
The Hydra (catch-up from 2010)
I think costumes are great (our 3-yr-old lives in one), but as a parent I have issues with Halloween. (Let's see--let's celebrate evil and superstition, eat copious amounts candy, and spend way to much on that, plus the cost of 4-6 good costumes for an evening's entertainment.) I do love trick-or-treating though--because it's a great way to meet neighbors that you would never get to talk to otherwise. This year I decided to make the event school. I told the kids that they could be anything they wanted to be (gross, gory, scary, whatever) as long as it was from Greek mythology. It was pretty fun, though a lot of work for me. Our favorite part of the Hydra costume turned out to be the make-up (some black eyeshaddow tapped through plastic craft screen made for a neat scale effect).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very cool makeup. A looks very dramatic and serious.
Post a Comment